Thursday, January 22, 2009

Crazy!

Hello everyone, guess what. . . I have a job, and they even know my name!!!!!! I started on Tuesday with some more "so called" orientation - paperwork and videos. On Wednesday we were off the the hospital and spent the first four hours doing paperwork, getting name tags and passwords etc then spent 4hrs on one med/surg floor, and the last4hrs on another medsurg floor and . . . . . that's it (holy shit I mumble)!!
Today we did the U.S. version on T.L.R and I start tomorrow!!! I am not even worried because it is soooooo overwhelming I don't even know what to worry about - lol! They have some really funny things here like giving medications. NO BODY mixes or retrieves there own meds they have a big computer machine that dispenses your patients drugs for you, all you do is simply take them the patient. Everything is premixed and unit dose etc. Everything is locked up - including any supplies, so I have about 2million codes swirling around my head.
When you give meds here you have to were a big bright yellow vest (i am not kidding its a traffic directing vest) that says "CAUTION I AM ADMINISTERING MEDICATIONS - DO NOT DISTURB". No one - not even Dr's are allowed to interrupt you when you are wearing that vest or they can be formally written up. They started this program a few years ago and withing 6 months they had a 40% decrease in med errors. its a good idea but oh my I am still laughing at how silly it looks. Also every four hours the R.N.s have to go on the computer and fill out a form that calculates the "nurse fatigue ratio" if you are over 1.2% fatigued from your patient care they schedule more staff - I LOVE IT its hilarious!!!!!! Everytime someone seriously mentions the "nurse fatigue ratio" I nearly die trying to hold in my laughter! What I really want to know is if someone takes into account doing the nurse fatigue form every four hours into the nurses fatigue!!! The ratio is never ever more than 1-5 which I think will be nice. The hospital is set up really weird but I am sure I will get used to it.
Anyway that's all I have to blog about right now - I will blog about how my first day goes - wish me luck!!!!!!!

3 comments:

David & Brenda said...

Work sounds interesting...a new adventure. Have a great day at work. How is the kept man doing?
Love Mom & Dad

Stephanie Bailey said...

the vest sounds interesting.. lol....

I hope you are having fun.
Love you, miss you
Stephanie

Barb said...

OH MY GOSH Andrea..the yellow vests sound sooo funny. I want pictures !!! Good if it decreases med. errors. But I do want a pic. I like the fatigue ratio thing especially for med/surg. to help keep the pt to nurse ratio at a doable !! I laughed at first but it is good for those areas. Could you ever imagine that happening here..not likely. Lovin the blog and keep telling us about life as nurse in the U.S.of A. Have a good day at work. Enjoy the experience. Love Barb