Monday, February 15, 2010

Feb 14th and 15th 2010!

Feb 15th the Great Barrier Reef!!




Today we did our reef trip out to the great barrier reef, it was amazing. It was a two hour boat ride to the reef were we stopped and both did two dives with a guide. After our dives we could snorkel to our hearts content. It was another full day as we left at 730 and finished at 5pm. we saw lots of amazing fish and coral. got to hold all kinds of wierd sticky reef things and put our hands into the GIANT snapping clams. We got to see "nemo" the clown fish and a shark!! there were dolfins in the distance but we only really saw there fins. Truly an amazing experience!!! It is currently 8:4opm and is still 30+ degrees I am sweating like crazy so I am going to finish and head to our room which is so cool - about 28degrees - it all relative I guess!!


Feb 14th Happy Valentines day




The day of the one eyed bandit - which I will explain in a min. For Valentines day Colin and I embarked on an extreme white water rafting trip through the rain forest on the Tully River. Apparently our one white water rafting trip in B.C. during the down season made us think we are extreme rafting material, why not! It was scary. . . .very scary. In the first 10 min the guide did what was called a raft surf - which basically means he puts the front of the raft under a rapid so the boat half floods while being sucked in and out of the rapid - well guess who was in the front - ME YAY!! This was exactly when my right contact was washed away and became a part of the river (see girls, should have been wearing my goggles). So I spent the rest of the day half blind while extreme rafting - which I think made it much more extreme (Ashley I think I deserve some street cred for that!). I got to see double everything - usually one very sharp image and one very fuzzy image - at least it made the boulders look a bit softer. We flipped the boat tons, did tons of body surfing down the rafts and Colin did lots of cliff jumping (I opted out of the cliff jumping as it was a bit tricky jumping from tall boulders into a raging river with only half my sight!). The other really cool thing was the guide took us one by one and dropped us into a sink hole created from a rapid. We shot down approx 20feet in about 3 sec and then came out the other end of it about 15 sec later - FREAKY but cool!!! It also poured rain for some of the day which was the first time we felt comfortable temp wise in Australia - the rest of the day was scorching hot. After we went for supper in the Chinese food court where they were still celebrating Chinese new year and the dragon dancers went though leaving a trail of screaming scared children behind them - all in a day of good entertainment!!!!!

1 comment:

David & Brenda said...

What a fabulous adventure you are having. Getting sucked into sink holes...maybe not for me but who knows. I am loving your scuba diving. Have a great time.Love mom & dad