Monday, June 13, 2011

Got me a Coconut . . . And a gecko!!

Today was another excellent day at the clinic, it is amazing how all the volunteers and regular employees work together so well, we are now fairly comfortable with each other and work even has it's laughs! I have to give the regular employees LOADS of credit for putting up with us volunteers on a regular basis - imagine being at your work and having a constant stream of volunteers in and out most of whom don't speak your language or know how things really go. They are ever so patient and gracious - and always pleasant and helpful even though some days I am sure they could do without us! So a huge Thanks to all the regular employees who enrich our time here as volunteers.

After clinic we were really hungry and tired and headed into town for some nachos and did some souvenir shopping, follow by a mango and papaya smoothy from a road side stand and two bags of fruit from the back of some guys truck!!

We were good little children today and made our own supper - while eating Ash noticed a new little friend had made his debut on our wall. Looking up I saw a tiny little gecko staring back at me with big mischievous eyes, so ensued the great Central American gecko race. It's small but super fast. Ash and Dan did a great job catching while I photographed safely from a chair. We did eventually catch it and set it free outside. Only we let the wrong person set it free - as Ashley let it go back on the side of the house instead of on the ground somewhere, so we all decided when the gecko ends up right back in our living room Ashley is on her own.

















A few days ago I bought a coconut - I have been curious to try it as it always looks so good on survivor, they drink the juice up and fry the coconut in a pan saying it tastes like popcorn. The coconut has been sitting taunting me from the counter so tonight was the night to give it a try. After a few very unsuccessful wacks with a knife we decided we were in need of a little outside help so we enlisted u tube (you can find anything on there). We found a very informative chef who very swiftly and easily cracked right into that coconut - well I don't know who helped him but ours did not go that smoothly. It took all three of us wildly swinging a very large knife at this thing, finally we were successful. Here's a fun fact for you - coconut water while is one of the highest natural sources of electrolytes is really very disgusting. Getting the white flesh out of the coconut was no easy feat either but with a little elbow greece we got it. Another fun fact - raw coconut flesh is also really unsatisfying, so our last attempt was the frying it to make like popcorn - while the house smelled amazing the taste was really not quite there - but it was better fried than it was raw!






















And that was our day today!!

After reading past blogs I realize the spelling and such is really quite poor but I am using my iPad which has this really annoying autocorrect and sometimes completely switches words around on me - so sorry I guess just use your imagination when the writing doesn't make sense.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

2 comments:

David & Brenda said...

DAd & I thought that raw coconut tasted really pretty good. But.....what did you make for supper since you cooked and hunted last night?

Anonymous said...

You girls are so tanned!
I found the coconut milk gross too but much better after being refrigerated.
Deb